After 8 hours of travelling and lots of waiting, i manage to plant myself on the comforts of my own bed. =) Alrights, 3 plus days in the land of smiles was a long awaited trip after the protest that left Bangkok Int'l Airport shut in december, finally get to utilized my ticket and a good opportunity to get away from everything (or i think so).
The idea of flying alone into Bangkok arriving at night is an idea that my parents won't buy, but hey, it's rather a thrilling experience trying to break the language barrier and get the driver to the hotel. Well... we "holland" (army term for getting lost during navigation) a little and after a costly call to the hotel to direct the driver, I found myself nicely settled into the hotel room.
Flying on a low cost carrier doesn't really sell to me but yah, I am game on trying this new form of travelling. The budget terminal is really... well... BUDGET! From the check-in counter all the way to boarding gates. The boarding pass resembles receipt that one gets when we sign for a bill, simply having your name, flight, boarding gate and thank goodness assigned seats! Most traveller add a little touch of "kiasuism" by getting into queue before the check in counters are even open and desperately trying to squeeze their way to the front with their extremely large baggage to only find out that they have to pay for excess baggage. Additional weight means additional fuel required means higher air fare.
The idea of flying alone into Bangkok arriving at night is an idea that my parents won't buy, but hey, it's rather a thrilling experience trying to break the language barrier and get the driver to the hotel. Well... we "holland" (army term for getting lost during navigation) a little and after a costly call to the hotel to direct the driver, I found myself nicely settled into the hotel room.
Flying on a low cost carrier doesn't really sell to me but yah, I am game on trying this new form of travelling. The budget terminal is really... well... BUDGET! From the check-in counter all the way to boarding gates. The boarding pass resembles receipt that one gets when we sign for a bill, simply having your name, flight, boarding gate and thank goodness assigned seats! Most traveller add a little touch of "kiasuism" by getting into queue before the check in counters are even open and desperately trying to squeeze their way to the front with their extremely large baggage to only find out that they have to pay for excess baggage. Additional weight means additional fuel required means higher air fare.
Does this remind you of a hospital corridor?
Well, on board, legroom is just right for me and since I was assigned aisle seat I could simply stretch out there if i want to. Downside is whenever the window seat passenger needs to get out, I would have to disrupt my reading or get out of my slumber just to stand up and allow them to get out. I don't like to squeeze. Food and drinks, costly. Since the flight is 2 hours I can manage to hold back my hunger till I get on the ground for more choices of food.
Part of the low cost strategy is quick turn around meaning upon arrival at Bangkok the plane is park at the furthest possible gate which is near the runway and so began a long trek down the concourse to clear custom and more walking to claim baggage.
Upon reaching the hotel, I immediately drop my luggage and head out in search for food. Since Tesco Lotus is minutes walk away and loaded with quite a number of fast food and slow food outlets, its definately a place to go! While I can't wait to taste local food, the thai written menu has left me dumbfound. Okay, plan B. There is a fast food outlet "Chester Grill" serving grill food which looks quite nice. After a few pointing here and there and Yes/No/OK, i get my order done and wait to be serve.
It drizzled and don't know where to go after that, might as well get an early night rest (my body clock is tune to Singapore GMT +8 and not +7) so in bangkok terms its an EARLY night rest. =S
To be continued...
Auf Wiedersehen!
No comments:
Post a Comment